Joliet Police Explorer Post 220 is chartered through the Boy Scouts of America’s Learning for Life program and sponsored by the Joliet Police Department. It is designed to provide young men and women a unique learning experience in policing through instruction, demonstration, and hands on training. The program is an excellent starting point for young adults interested in pursuing a career in law enforcement.
The Post is looking young adults between the ages of 14 and 21 who have an interest in law enforcement. Applicants must pass a background check.
Meetings are held every Thursday from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm in the Joliet Police Department's Community Room.
- Must be 14 year old and have completed 8th grade, and can participate until your 21st birthday.
- Must submit a formal application, pass a background check, and have no felony arrests or gang affiliation.
- Must abide by the Joliet Police Explorers Post 220 Policies and Procedures.
- Must commit to Post meetings and events.
- Yearly dues of $25 must be paid upon joining, and each year after to remain active.
Explorers participate in law enforcement training to help better understand the career field. This training involves classroom lectures, demonstrations, and training scenarios where Explorers can practice what they have learned. Some training topics include:
- Domestic violence
- Traffic stops
- Crime prevention
- Arrest, search, and seizure
- Criminal law
- Building searches
Explorers participate in numerous community service events throughout the year in Joliet. Every year, Explorers are recognized by the Joliet Police Department for the hours of work they dedicate to the community.
Community service events include parades, child passenger safety events, safety fests, and many more.
If you have any questions or wish to receive an Explorer Post application, please visit the front desk of our police station, or join us for our weekly meetings. The meeting schedule is posted on this page.
Forms and Additional Information
Download the following forms to join the Post:
Explorer Application Form
Post 220 Policies and Procedures